It’s been an honour to serve as MP for Edinburgh East since 2010.
During that time I’ve helped over 6,000 people with problems like tax credits and pensions, and replied to nearly 10,000 emails, letters and phone calls about issues from phone hacking to arms sales.
I’ve also got behind community campaigns like those to save Castlebrae High School, stop a biomass power station being built in Leith, and prevent an oversupply of student accommodation in the Southside.
Last September’s referendum showed that many in Scotland – both Yes and No voters – want to see a fairer and more equal society. At the election on the 7th of May, people have a chance to elect a Labour Government that will make the changes people want to see. We would:
- Increase the minimum wage to at least £8 per hour by 2020
- Ban exploitative zero-hours contracts
- Tax bankers to fund guaranteed jobs for under 25s out of work for a year
- Levy a Mansion Tax to help pay for 1,000 extra nurses in Scotland’s NHS
- Tax earnings over £150,000 to 50p in the pound to pay down the deficit
- Abolish the Bedroom Tax
- Decarbonise our electricity supply by 2030 to stop climate change
- Spend 0.7 per cent of national income on international development
- Remain in the European Union to protect jobs
- Retain the Human Rights Act
- Allow 16 and 17 year olds to vote in all elections
And following the work of the Smith Commission, significant further powers will be devolved to the Scottish Parliament. Scottish Labour have already pledged to use these powers to:
- Freeze fracking in Scotland
- Bring Scotrail back into public ownership
- Pass on job creation powers to local councils
I hope I can count on your support.
About this site
All my posts since May 2010 are available on the Blog section of this website, including press releases and articles, replies to constituents on important issues, and my monthly newsletters. You can find posts on a particular issue or from a specific time period by using the category and archive filters. My most recent posts are also available below.
The Campaigns section contains information on the issues I’ve campaigned on the most since my election – Employment and Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, the Work Programme and the East Coast privatisation.
The Newsletter section contains my most recent monthly update; you can find out more about me and the constituency in the About section; and for details on getting in touch, my monthly surgeries and visiting Westminster, see the Contact section.
Get in touch
Email email@example.com | Call 0131 661 7522 | Write to 84 Niddrie Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH16 4DT
Constituency office at 84 Niddrie Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH16 4DT open 10am-4.30pm, Monday to Thursday
My supporters and I go out several times a week to knock on people’s doors and speak to them about the issues they’re concerned about and the upcoming election.
We’re always looking for more volunteers so even if you’ve never done anything like this before, please get in touch – we can pair you up with experienced campaigners until you get the hang of things. We also run a weekly session where we telephone voters.
Alternatively we’re always looking for people to deliver leaflets and direct mails – again please just drop us a line!
To compliment this I need to fund things like leaflets, newspapers and direct mails for delivery across the constituency. For this we need donations:
- £20 buys 36 second class stamps for direct mails to constituents OR
- £20 buys 500 ‘I’m voting Sheila Gilmore’ A4 posters
- £50 buys 1700 election address leaflets
- £100 buys 3,500 tabloid ‘Labour Today’ newspapers
Please consider donating £20 or whatever you can using the button below:
If you are considering making a donation above £500 see the additional information on the Donate page.