- Long term unemployment up 19% and long term youth unemployment up 30%
- Online search for jobs undermines Tory and Lib Dem claims that ‘the jobs are out there’
Commenting on today’s unemployment figures, Edinburgh East MP and Work and Pensions Select Committee member Sheila Gilmore said:
Here in Edinburgh long term unemployment is still up 19% on the year, and long term youth unemployment is up 30%. It is getting clearer by the day that this government is letting down our area.
We urgently need action to get local people into work. This is why Labour is calling for a compulsory jobs guarantee, which will get any adult out of work for more than two years, or young person out of work for a year, into a job – one they would be required to take.
Commenting on Minister’s claims that ‘the jobs are out there’, Sheila Gilmore said:
Tory and Lib Dem Ministers often tell us that ‘the jobs out there’, and that unemployed people just need to look for them. But when I used the Government’s new Universal Job Match service to search for shop assistant vacancies today, I found a very different picture.
Although 76 vacancies came up, only six were actually based in Edinburgh, with others as far afield as Falkirk and Kirkaldy. What’s worse, 57 of the entries were from a company offering self-employed door-to-door catalogue sales jobs. With no guarantee on hours or earnings, these ‘non-jobs’ don’t offer people a secure and sustainable way out of unemployment.
- Click here to download spreadsheet of figures (Edinburgh specific on last tab).
- Sheila Gilmore is a member of the Commons Work and Pensions Select Committee. You can view the committee’s website here.
- For more information please contact Matt Brennan, Parliamentary Assistant to Sheila Gilmore MP, on 020 7219 7062, 07742 986 513 or email@example.com.